Frequently asked questions

Below are our most frequently asked questions. If you can’t find the answer you’re looking for, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Jump to an answer:

What does the law say about rape and serious sexual offences?

Rape is the intentional penetration of the vagina, anus or mouth with a penis without consent. Assault by penetration is the penetration of the vagina or anus with a body part or any other object, without consent. These are serious offences, and both can be committed against men or women.

Back to top

I can’t remember what happened so how can I tell the police?

If you are worried or anxious and you think something has happened to you, please talk to us. We will help to reassure you, and let you know what your options are.

If you wanted to report to the police they would:

  • Ensure you are safe
  • Make an immediate assessment of your needs
  • Establish the identity of the suspect (if known)
  • Obtain an overview of what happened
  • Ensure a member of the Signal Team, the dedicated rape and serious sexual offences investigation team are sent to support you and explain the process as soon as possible.

Back to top

I suffered sexual abuse as a child, can I report it now?

There are many reasons why people do not feel able to report sexual abuse at the time; however, the police will always investigate these sort of crime allegations no matter how much time may have passed since the incident happened. It is really important that you seek help as soon as you feel able to even if you decide not to report to the Police.

Back to top

Can rape happen in a relationship?

Rape within marriage and relationships does occur. Some people believe that sexual intercourse without consent of your partner is not rape. This is not true. If you are forced into sex by anyone its an offence.

Back to top